Wednesday, December 30, 2009

An Update On E-Kate

Hi Friends!

It's Heather, E-Kate's sister, posting a long overdue update on my courageous sister.

Emily's surgery was postponed until 5pm on the 27th. Poor thing had not had any food or water since the evening before so she had a killer headache all day waiting on her surgery to start. When it was time for them to insert the IV the nurse tried several (4? maybe) times but was unable to insert it because she was slightly dehydrated due to lack of liquids in almost 24 hours.

Our parents were with her as she waited for her surgery time. (I was unable as I have a nursing baby). They injected some sort of blood thinner INTO HER STOMACH (OMGosh, I know!) and finally the anesthesiologist was able to place her IV.

The surgery was a success and prayers were answered! They were able to operate laproscopically and also remove her gallbladder! Thank you, Lord!

For the first 24 hours or so her pain was manageable. Rising to a '5' when it was time for medicine but mostly hovering around a 3.

She is currently on an all liquid diet & will stay on liquids only for a few weeks. Her stomach is still really small so she is only able to take one or two sips of something before feeling full.

She was released this morning (after a horrible night with a horrible nurse!) and is at my mom's house, resting & relaxing in her hot pink Snuggie. I hope to see her tomorrow.

Right now, please continue praying for comfort, quick healing, and that she pootaroops (Farts for all you non-Nickerson/Mullvains). (And, on that note pray for my mom because when Emily finally breaks wind it's going to be scary for mama! LOL)

I think Em is ready (and wanting) to receive texts so feel free to send her a text of encouragement! AND, I know she is itching for visitors so feel free to arrange that with her as well.

Love,
Heather

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend juice plus shakes for her, when she is able. My mother in law had this surgery 2 years ago, and started on jp shakes right away. The doctors were amazed with her blood work results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it went well!! Will pray for recovery!

    ReplyDelete