Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Pre-Op and Grocery Shopping

Tonight was officially my last night of grocery shopping for a LONG TIME. I was apprehensive to buy too much because ummm.....hello, I will not need food for a while.

I have also made a commitment not to buy too much junk and NOT PIG OUT right before surgery. Truly, what is the point? I am getting the surgery done for a second chance. I would like to live to see it.

During my shopping trip, I did make a few minor adjustments to the list....
  1. Marshmallow Mateys Cereal (it is a the CHEAP but BETTER version of Lucky Charms)
  2. Sour Patch Kids....nope totally NOT eating them right now as I blog :)
  3. Corn Dogs, Gross....yep, Good.....YUP
Not to bad if I do say so myself:)
I have a week and a half until I will be living on liquid for a while.

NEXT UP...........................................

Yesterday was my Pre-Op appointment with Doctor C. I really did not have many questions for him. I wanted to make sure that I understood everything properly before I go into surgery.

He discussed with me the possibility of leaving in my gallbladder (even though I have gallstones) because the gallbladder can be hard to access during surgery. I would prefer it out because it would be one less surgery I will eventually have to have. I could also join the family club. I think the people in my family who have lost their gallbladder as followed; sister, mom, dad, aunt. I need to be inducted in the Gallbladder Expulsion Club.

I also discussed in further detail about getting pregnant in the future. He reiterated that there is not evidence that suggests miscarriage rates or infertility are increased post GBP. But if it is an issue, my sister has offered multiple times to be a surrogate. Thanks Iya:) Does your husband know about that yet? Hehe

It is still unclear actually how I will feel afterward. Everyone reacts differently and it was best explained to me that GBP is just as easy to explain as childbirth is to explain. Everyone is different. Let's pray that will be a breeze.

As for more surgical details, my surgery is December 28th. I am the 3rd case of the day, which means that surgery will probably be around 2pm. I will probably not get back to my room until 9pm that night. Again, if all is as planned, I will be discharged the next night or early the morning of the 30th. If you plan on visiting me, please call my cellphone or leave me a blog message so I can make sure someone calls you.

I asked how much weight I actually have to lose. What an EYE OPENER!!!! The doctor said about 200lbs YIKES!!! If you weight less than that, I DON'T want to hear it:) Just kidding. So it will be quite a process of about 18 months-2 years. I am ready to embark on that.

I also asked about physical activity. The doctor basically said it is up to my lead. I NEED to be walking for about 5-10 minutes every hour to keep blood circulating and stuff, but other than that I am free to go to the gym anytime after surgery, seeing as I feel well enough.
My sister (I hope) will be updating my blog while I am in surgery. This is probably the first time she is hearing about this. Hope that is ok sissy:) I want to make sure I keep you faithful readers up to date.

Any more questions you have? Let me know:)

As for prayer requests, I have a few regarding my surgery.
  1. Wisdom for the Doctors and Staff
  2. The intubation process. Since I had that tumor in my jaw and it was replaced with a metal joint, I am at high intubation risk. They are worried about knocking something out of place. Please pray the the intubation goes ok. And of course I dont remember it:)
  3. That I can be a light in the hospital. I pray that I can impact the people around me for the better.
  4. Of course...minimal pain and easy adjustment.
Thank you for your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Em, it's getting so close!! Love the updates, and will be praying for you!! Can you explain "intubation"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey trina. to be intubated means that they put you on a breathing tube for the duration of surgery. Because I had my jaw surgery, they are worried about not having enough space to move around in my mouth. Plus I have a small mouth to begin with.
    So in the event they can't do it orally, they will intubate me through my nose. It sounds quite terrible, so I am glad I will be asleep. :)

    ReplyDelete