Thursday, December 10, 2009

I Will Stop For......

I am going to share something straight from the class of being the "Fire Chief's Daughter."

PLEASE, if safe, STOP if you are the witness of a car accident.

Random thought right? Well tonight on my way home from work I was on the phone (my bluetooth of course) when the person in front of me accelerated and ran right into the back of a mini-van. In a instant, the glass shattered the back window, and the car came to a halt only after sending a chain reaction to hit 2 other cars. Four cars total were involved in the accident. How many people stopped? ONE! That was me. Am I asking for accolades? Nope, but I want to make another point. Of the 5 people involved, one of which was hurt, no one thought to call 911.

So many times, people forget to call the 911 or in most cases, people ASSUME someone else is doing it. Well folks, in this case no one was.

If you ever do witness a car accident, that is either quite bad, or someone is injured please call 911. It is better to call and get an officer out there to help with the reports and directing traffic than to put yourself at risk of oncoming traffic.

Afraid to call 911? It really is not a big deal. It is not scary, but prepared to offer the following information.
  1. Where are you? Name the street you are on and the closest cross-street, if possible.
  2. Report the incident. In my case, it was a car accident.
  3. Be detailed as possible as to, how many cars, people, injuries, are they blocking traffic?
  4. Stay calm
  5. Give your name and phone number if they ask for it.
Basically my phone call to the 911 dispatcher was as followed...."Hi I am on Temecula Parkway east of La Paz. There has been a traffic collision involving 4 cars. One woman is complaining of her head hurting because she hit the head rest. Two cars are blocking on lane of traffic."

Friends it was really that easy and they sent out Emergency Services.

Also, if you were a witness to the accident, stay on the scene until an officer tells you that you can go. Your testimony may be important.

Though this does take some time out of your day and can be quite inconvenient, you would want someone to do it for you.

The only harm done is your time, and well, in my case a broken blue-tooth. I lost a piece while I was calling 911. No harm right? :)

Thanks for tuning in to "Notes from the Fire Chiefs Daughter"

No comments:

Post a Comment