Sunday, December 20, 2009

From the Bottom of HER heart! (Guest post from E-Kate's sister)





So when my sister asked me to write a guest post on her blog tonight I wasn't sure what I'd say. I wish I could tell you that I am as witty as she is & this is going to have you rolling on the floor like her Not Me Monday posts, but, unfortunately if you came for wits & giggles then you will be sadly disappointed.

Instead, I couldn't help but reminisce on our lives growing up & how I've been a player in her weight journey. Maybe not the KEY player but as her only sibling for much of our childhood & only sister our lives are intertwined like only those with a sister could understand.

Growing up, I never had to worry about my weight. People didn't that we were sisters because we looked so different.
Me: Skinny, Blonde, Hazel Eyes
Emily: Chubby, Brunette, Blue Eyes

I didn't understand why Emily couldn't lose the weight (or even why she gained it in the first place) and I wasn't very kind. While I was never intentionally unkind I was certainly insensitive. I thought she just had to make an effort & the weight would come off. My 'encouragement' was purely based in vanity. I wanted her to be pretty. I wanted her to be skinny. I wanted her to feel good about herself (the way I felt) when boys checked her out. I got my self worth in my looks & wanted her to as well.

At this point in our relationship, I want my sister to know that I am sorry if I ever made her feel uncomfortable because of her weight. I want her to know that she is the 'Pretty One' of the family now & will still be after the surgery. (***Emily begs to differ)

Most of all, I want her to know that she has taught me that it's not just about looks. That it's important to play up the features that God has given us but that it's more important to treat our bodies as His temple.

Emmers, you are about to embark on a long & I'm sure at times difficult journey. I admire you for taking this step to get healthy. I love you.

From the Sister of:

3 comments:

  1. My daughters are a blessing.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet post! Love it Em and Heath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I love you, and Emily, I wish you all the best and am sending so many prayers your way. Your courage and honesty is so uplifting, and your faith an inspiration. Keep sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete