Friday, January 22, 2010

Update....Hospital....Life...

This has been quite a week. I have not been able to update or do anything due to being in the hospital.

So, how did this happen you might ask?
Well starting last friday I was really really fatigued and gaggy (I was gagging really easy, even while I brushed my teeth.) Come the weekend, I went walking with a friend in La Jolla and was SO TIRED and SO THIRSTY. I just felt really sick. I was unable to eat any food because I did not have an appetite at all. Finally come monday I was really sick. I was supposed to get ready and go to work but I started dry heaving and get really weak and dizzy.

I immediately called Dr. C and he said that my symptoms were too hard to assess over the phone so he wanted me to go to the ER asap and he would meet me there. Once I got to the ER I did not have to wait at all they got me right in. Once I was in the immediately started me on IV fluids. They pumped me full of 5 bags of fluid in the first day. My Dr. met me there and ordered an Upper GI Scan, so the wheel me in, only to be moved again to have a more precise test; MRI with contrast. Once they did the scan, it was determined that I possibly had some thickening of one of the "limbs" that attaches to my new stomach. The Dr. decided he wanted to keep me over night to monitor me and pump me full of more fluids.

I stayed the night and has blood work in the morning that determined that I had elevated liver levels, lipase, and billi ruben levels that affect my pancreas and liver. My electrolyte levels were also off causing me to be dehydrated. Because they noticed the thickening of the "limb" the Dr. ordered an endoscopy. That is where they put a camera down your throat to look into the stomach. This was basically a bad experience for me. You see I only got 5 hours of sleep in 48 hours, and after the sedative they gave me, I still woke up in the middle of the procedure and was gagging. That was a pretty miserable experience.

The endoscope revealed that there was not thickening and they suspected, due to my levels, I had Pancreatitis. This was caused by taking out my gallbladder during surgery. They suspected that some "particles" and possibly a gallstone got lodged in the bile duct and needed to "pass" and it was stuck in the pancreas. Because of that I still could not eat anything and needed to get the patricles passed out of my system.

I stayed in the hospital for 4 nights trying to determine what was going on. Finally on Friday I was able to go home....with a catch. I am home with invtervenous nutrition. For this, they needed to insert a PICC line. Basically it is an IV in my upper arm and it get threaded in the vein all the way up my chest just above my heart. THIS SUCKS!!!! They tried to insert it but could not get it in the right place. Because they could not get it in the right place, they had to send me to radiology to insert it. Boy did it hurt and was just a bummer. :(

Once I got home I received a huge package and was taught how to use my my nutrition device. It is pretty much terrible and a lot to remember. As denoted on my last post, I hit my breaking point. Because of the nutrition I have to take 2 more weeks off work. I am really bummed to have to miss work and stay at home. I am really BORED and want my life to be normal again, or at least as normal as I can have it.

I will most likely have the nutrition for two weeks then life will proably be back to normal. Until then I am going to have a ton of time on my hands.

I must say I am hitting a wall and really sad. It WILL get better, but right now it feels like it never will.

I am seeking prayer and support during this rough time.

Thanks

7 comments:

  1. Hang in there E-Kate. I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you so much mings :) you are such a strong person, and i truly admire you're dependance on the Lord thru this time...this too shall pass!
    you are always such an encouragement to me and everyone around you--i hope we can all repay that favor now!
    thinking about you, praying for a speedy recovery, and that you get your life back ASAP!
    xoxoxoxoxoxo,
    all my love,
    olympia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily Kate, you are so good at expressing your feelings. I can't imagine that anyone could go through what you have over the last several days without feeling bummed. I hope that knowing how loved and how much you mean to so many family and friends brings you sunshine. Also smile knowing that the Lord is with you always. You'll be back to work and in the swing of things soon. Let your body heal, read magazines and books, knit, do crafts. Pretty soon life will be back to normal and you'll be so busy! Love you lots!!!! :) Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's what my mom always says Flutter (and that women has beaten Cancer TWICE so she knows what she is talking about) "Sometimes you just have to put on your Big Girl Panties and DEAL WITH IT!" It's not fun but sometimes life wants to just test our mettle and it's our job to stand up and show it what we've got! You are stronger than you think, rely on what brings you inspiration and just buck up! You CAN do this. And years from now, your recovery will just look like a blip on the radar screen as you enjoy your healthy new life. I love you. Hang in there. GO YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Emily,

    Sorry to hear you are having a hard time right now. I know the Lord will get you through this and I pray it will be really soon. You truly have such a good attitude about things and I wish I was close so I could come by and visit.

    God bless you abundantly!

    Love ya,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are home and feeling better- I want to encourage you that this is such a short time in your life that will make such a long term difference. Use this "down time" to focus on God and focus on yourself and getting 100%!! You will soon enough be back to normal life and wondering when your next vacation will be:) love ya friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Pledge Sis! I haven't heard much about how you have been lately, so I'm glad I got to see your blog. You are seriously a warrior! I had no idea you have been going through so much, and I want you to know you are in my prayers from here on out! I've never gotten to say this, but I truely love you, and really admire your strength!

    -Lux

    ReplyDelete