Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Learning Curve

Having time off of work for medical reasons is always a bummer! It is not like I am on vacation and get to travel around, but instead I have to make an important choice; Wallow in my sorrows (which I did a little bit of) or seek out God and let Him teach me.

After my time crying and feeling sorry for myself, I knew it was important to spend time with God and ask Him to teach me and mold me. Well, I was not exactly ready for some of the things that He was about to show me.

Here are the Good Things I have learned thus far....
  1. With God's strength, you can handle a lot more then you think you can.
  2. God uses our challenges to teach us and reveal Himself even more
  3. I learned it is ok to spend time alone with God even if it is tempting to watch CSI all day!
Here are some of the Harder Things I have learned thus far...
  1. Medical Bills stink! As many of you know, it has been my biggest desire to get out of debt and go to Graduate School to become a Speech Language Pathologist. Well, I have been working on my Graduate School application for months. My plan was to work hard this last year to get out of debt, or at least take a good chunk out of it and go to grad school this next year. Well, the unfortunate reality of getting sick is that medical bills are EXPENSIVE! Through much prayer and willingness to listen to God, it was revealed to me that Graduate School is not going to happen this year. I really do not feel good about taking out additional student loans, going to school full time, decreasing my work hours, AND try to pay off my debt. My medical bills are going to be pretty pricey and would feel better working hard to pay those off before I add additional debt for school. I must admit, I am sad! It is a dream to go to Grad school, but I know that God's timing is better than my own and that EVERYTHING happens for His glory, and that I must trust that.
  2. Also, because of medical bills, I am most likely moving in with my mom when my lease is up at my condo. I love love love living in my condo, but unfortunately, I NEED to get out of debt and in order to do that, I need to move home and save $1000 a month. I am still working out the logistics because I may not be saving too much because I will be driving to work which will be a quite a commute. I am still praying about this, but what I do know is that I need to be able to pay off my medical debt. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices, but I have peace about what God is doing in my life.
Learning lessons from God are sometimes hard to swallow, but I do have trust that He is working it all out for good.

I will keep you guys posted on more things that God is teaching me. I know there are a lot of things He wants to show me.

God I am open and willing to hear your voice!!!

3 comments:

  1. All in His timing good things will come! You are one smart cookie Emily. Paying off debt before incurring more is smart, even though it postpones things a bit. I love you and I'm proud of the good choices you make. :) Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each challenge we face brings us two choices - draw closer to Him or pull away. You are making the right choice by clinging to Him! Love you, Emmers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still thinking of and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete