Tuesday, November 24, 2009

There IS Such Thing as a Free Lunch!

It always makes me laugh at when I want to write a blog post but don't know what to write and days I don't feel like it, God gives me something to talk about. Whether it is what I am learning or what, He always seems to show me something.

I just finished the book by Brennen Manning Ragamuffin Gospel. If you have not read it, I highly suggest that you do! I am always so in awe with what God shows Authors to write about. I do not have that gifting though I wish I did!

Let me lead you in the path I have taken the past few weeks reading this book. In a nutshell, the book is about the "Gospel of Grace." Easily put, Christ came into this world to take the punishment for our sin which was death. Basically end of story. When you think about it, one would think that we should have to earn this atonement for sins. We should work work work to get it, but as Scripture tells us, and Ragamuffin Gospel, Christ has given us Grace; His undeserved favor. His grace is renewed every morning and there is nothing that I, or you, can do to earn less or more love and grace from God.

Let me give you some history as to myself. I never understood this concept. To get something, you must earn it, is what I was always taught. "Nothing in life is free", or "there is no such thing as a free lunch" are terms I always hear. But then I began to hear that grace is free, it is a gift that is undeserved, but a gift. I can't lose God's grace and I did NOTHING to even deserve it. I fail everyday. I am sure that I fail people everyday. My life is not perfect and to be honest I would like to lie and say that it is. But let the truth be known, I suck at life. But I have a Savior who has paid the price for my mistakes and given me a free pass to spend eternity with Him.

How did this all happen, you might ask? Well let me tell you, He chose me! In my sin and rebellion, there was no choosing God. He showed me His grace, His perfect love, and His Son. I think so easily we can get caught up in a specific prayer, a filled out "commitment card" or some other man created thing to assure our Salvation, but that is not what God calls us to do. We are called to believe and with that believing our lives will dramatically change. I believe when we begin to fully understand the price that was paid for our lives, we will begin to change and be transformed. When this happens, we begin to understand more and more the gift we have been given. Do not get bogged down with the religiosity our culture presents, but simply accept the free gift Christ has given and believe.

It is not what you do or how you do it that will earn you eternity with Christ, but having a willing heart to respond to His gift in worship and fellowship with Him.

Our "free lunch" is greater than food from the earth, but it is sustenance for eternity.

Enjoy your night my friends! You are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment