Monday, November 30, 2009

Just a Pinch

I thought I would take some time to answer an additional question you might have had about the surgery. Many of you have asked similar questions or had similar concerns for me. (I am grateful for these by the way) One of the most pressing questions many have asked is...

How are you going to have kids post Gastric Bypass (GBP)?

This is a really good question, and my guess is that many of you were wondering the same thing. It is a common question because if GBP surgery is to help people lose weight by basically cutting the food intake drastically, how on earth could my body sustain a life? I am grateful for everyone's concern for me and of course, eventually, the well-being of a child. Here is what the research I have found looks like.

  1. Based on research, there is not significant evidence that people who have children after bariatric surgery have a higher risk than those who did not, as long as the following precautions are taken.
  • You are nutritionally balanced. Meaning all of your vitamin and mineral levels are within normal limits.
  • You have stopped losing weight and you have been at a stable weight for at least 3 months.
2. One must also weigh out the consequences of carrying a baby while one is Morbidly Obese.
  • Higher risk of miscarriage is present for those who are overweight
  • Extreme risk of gestational diabetes
  • During delivery, babies tend to be large, causing labor to be more difficult
  • The chance of needing a cesarean section is much, much higher.
I would have to honestly say that I have come to the conclusion that having GBP surgery is not only beneficial for myself, but it is also going to impact my children in the positive as well.

As far as I have researched, as well, I have not found anything that indicates higher miscarriage rates among those who have GBP surgery and those who have not. Because those who have the surgery and then have children is such a small percentage, a lot of research has not been done. What they do have is sufficient for me. Only time will tell.

I hope this answered all of your guys' questions. If you have any further ones, let me know. I am enjoying the research as well and answering your questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment