Friday, August 13, 2010

Unforseen Sabbath

Today I nursed my body back to health. You see, I have been sick the past few days and have been really bummed out. I was supposed to work Wed-Sun and my job got cancelled, which initially was a bummer, but then I got sick. I realized...."Ok God, your will over mine." So yesterday I laid low and woke up today feeling worse...so today I literally stayed in bed until 5 pm, when I decided to shower and make myself get out to go to Starbucks to feed my coffee addiction. :)

Though today could have been a wasted day, the last few days have eluded to the very strong need I had to spend with the Lord.

Last Wednesday, I was driving home from my Worship Community Group and flipped through the radio and was really frustrated that nothing was on! I had heard Katy Perry's "California Girls" enough that day and Eminem's new songs were played out...and the rest of the radio did not suit me, so I did something I NEVER do. I turned off the radio and depended on my own thoughts and to listen to what ever God wanted to speak to me about.

You see, I knew he wanted to teach me and speak to me. I had been up until today, when I finished it, reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. If you have never read the book, I STRONGLY recommend it. It is based on the book of Hosea in the Bible and conveys God's love for His children through a love story of two opposite characters. You see, this is the second time I have read the book. ***SPOILER ALERT (I am going to talk a little bit about the book, so you might want to skip this part) The first time I read the book, I was enthralled by the love that Micheal Hosea had for Angel. I felt like "Oh my goodness, I NEED a man like that!" I took the story as a desperate plea to find a guy just like Michael. I feel like I totally missed the point of the book. This time, though, I was so amazed by what was shown to me this time! First off, the personality of Angel was searing truth of who I am! Sure, I am not a prostitute, but my stubbornness and independence mirrored Angel's. I realized that sure I have never physically run away from love and affection, I have emotionally disconnected from love and affection and certainly am positive I would be in the same position as Angel was...receiving love from a man that loved the Lord and wanted to serve her like Christ served the church.

(STILL SPOILING HERE) But beyond the fact that I looked straight into the face of Angel and saw myself, I was in awe of the relationship that Christ had with each of the characters. Michael loved Angel because He loved Christ first. Angel eventually loves the Lord because of the love Michael shows to her. Just as Michael takes Angel back, and looks for her when she runs away, is the same as Christ does when we turn from Him. I was so humbled and in awe of the Lord while reading the book.

So, going back to the car ride home, I realized that God wanted to speak to me and I needed to speak to Him. Turning off the radio was just the beginning of a long silence and training to listen to what the Lord wanted to teach me and show me about myself.

On the way home, I was reminded of this video that I bought a while back that totally changed my perspective. See it below....please watch all of it. It is 10 min but totally worth it. (Dont mind the Spanish subtitles, it is the only one I could find)




WOW right?
I mean really how much of our time is spent filling our minds with noise? Sure, it is not bad to listen to music, listen to sermons, or read your Bible for that matter, BUT to have the discipline to spend time in silence with the Lord is so valuable.

So today I started....Silence before my Father. Listening to Him. Putting my needs aside and listened to Him. Did he say anything to me? No, not today, but I felt so immersed in His love. Just to sit in silence with my Father felt like such a gift.

So I must say it is a bummer being sick, but such a blessing to be able to sit at my Father's feet and listen and be filled with thanksgiving for all He has done and will continue to do in my life.

Good night my friends and enjoy the silence :)

No comments:

Post a Comment