Sunday, May 1, 2011

Compton Initiative

Yesterday was a fantastic day to serve the people of Compton. I went with my church, Covenant Grace, to do a service project.


So...at 4:30 am I woke up, threw on some clothes and headed out to meet 6 other people to head up.

Our specific project was to paint a house, clean out their garage, and cut bushes and weeds from the backyard. It was such an amazing opportunity to serve a family and community in need.

(I would share more, but I think it is more fun to look at the pictures instead)

*Enjoy* :)


Our AMAZINGLY hardworking team

After cleaning out an entire trailer full of trash and things the family did not need from the garage, we were given the opportunity to paint it.


One of our team members, Mike, painting.


John painting the house.



Sadly, I did not get any before pictures. But imagine....this whole backyard was FULL of trash, bushes and such.



The house AFTER it was painted. Before it was a pink color that was peeling off. It really needed to be redone.



Ok ok, I will share a quick story with you.



As I was painting the back door, one of the children in the house was so excited that we was able to have a new painted house. He would not stop talking about how grateful he was and kept saying... "Wow it looks so good!" When we were leaving, I went in to say bye and the little guy gave me the biggest hug. It was so amazing to do something for a family in need.



I can honestly say, I felt more blessed being able to serve, step out of my comfort zone, and join in a vision.

For more information on the Compton Initiative, go to justdogood.org


2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Em..you inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello friend! Thanks for serving in Compton!!! I coordinate volunteer teams for The Compton Initiative, and I don't think I know about your group coming. I'd love to be in touch so that we can better encourage you guys and to stay in touch for future compton days. My name is Bill White and my email is bill.white@erc.la. I look forward to being in touch!

    ReplyDelete