Monday, February 1, 2010

I think we have come to an end...

With a late night scare trip to the ER last night, an infected PICC line, a yeast infection on my arm, and another $100 copay, I am happy to say, as far as I know, this crazy struggle is OVER!!!!

I went to the ER last night with really bad pain on the insertion site of the PICC line and some pain in my shoulder. After a dose of antibiotics, benadryl, and a TON of bloodwork, I was sent home to follow-up with my Dr.

I went to the doctor today and he made the decision to pull the PICC line! YAHOO!!!!! I no longer have that darn thing in my arm! I am so so so glad to be free from the huge burden of the PICC line.

Below are pictures of everything that was included in preparing my nutrition bag for the PICC line. I had to do this every day! The first night, with this PICC line in, I had to sit and listen to a woman train me on it for 3 HOURS!!!!


Above from the top left: hand sanitizer, heparin, saline flush, small syringe for vitamin C, large syringe for multivitamins, small needle to filter out the glass from the vitamin C vial, tubing to wire from the TPN (nutrition) to the pump, to my arm, blood sugar monitor, batteries, nutrition pump, alcohol swabs, multivitamins, vitamin C

This is the fluid that was continually pumping in my veins. One bag per 24 hour period. I had to carry it around. Do not be deceived, this thing is 5 pounds to carry around on your shoulder all day long!

This is my blood sugar monitor that I had to prick my finger 2x a day to monitor my blood sugar. I was really blessed that it was within normal limits. If it wasn't I would have had to give myself insulin like I did in the hospital following my GBP.


I still have the yeast infection on my arm, but am on medicine for that and it should go away within the next few days. I was going to add a picture, but I decided to save your stomachs.

YOU ARE WELCOME:)

I am so excited to have my life back and rejoice in the fact that this trial is over!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy the Picc line is gone!!! Enjoy your freedom sweet Emily Kate. :) Love you! Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "new" journey can now continue without that darn line. Hang in there - you are doing great. M

    ReplyDelete