Friday, July 9, 2010

Fantastic Food Find Friday

Blogging Service Announcement:

Due to budget issues, fashion find fridays will not be occurring week. Yours truly has found some fashionable finds all week that existed in her closet. :) BUT I am here to announce a "special friday edition" of Fantastic Food Friday.

Because I had no money to buy new clothes this week, I spent some time in the kitchen. If you know anything about me....I am not a good cook. I can bake (which is virtually pointless since I cant eat sugar) but cooking is not my specialty. But, I would like to share with you some of my new food finds this week.

This week, a coworker brought in a ton of apples from her tree. I love apples, but because of my jaw, I cant really eat them raw. I decided to try to find a recipe for Sugar Free Apple Crisp. I figured that it cant really be that hard.

Sugar Free Apple Crisp
    3 medium baking apples, cored, sliced thin
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 Tbsp Splenda
    2 Tbsp flour


    Topping:
    1 cup quick oats
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup Splenda
    2 Tbsp heart-healthy margarine

Directions

Mix first four ingredients and place into 9-inch (square or round) baking dish.
In small bowl, mix Topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over the apples.
Bake at 325 degrees until apples are soft and topping is golden brown (about 30 minutes).
Number of Servings: 9

I decided to double the topping because I really like the crisp on top.

My consensus with the apple crisp is that it was good. It continued to get better as it sat in the refrigerator. The cinnamon and the splenda really could be tasted as the days went on. My only complaint is that it was a bit dry and that it is all gone. I wanted to make the apples a bit "saucy" and they were kinda dry. Next time, I will try to add something to make it a bit more "soupy" for lack of a better word.

Here are some of the pictures:

The apples I used. I was going to use plums too, but they were too mushy.



Putting cinnamon and sugar on them.


In the pan without the crisp on top. (see how it is not soupy?)

Making the crisp. It was SO GOOD!

All put together and baking.

I also ventured into actually cooking a good dinner for myself. I worked out super hard at the gym this evening and was not hungry for a little while after. By the time I was hungry, my mom had already eaten....meaning I was on my own for dinner. :) I decided to make some pasta, veggies and turkey meatballs. Super simple meal, but so yummy, not to mention really healthy.

Since we are all in the battle to be healthy, I thought I would share this one with you.

Yummy Pasta Dish:)
I think it is called pasta primavera....maybe:)

I used turkey meatballs from Fresh and Easy and followed the baking directions for the back of the bag. I baked them at 375 for 14 minutes

While this was cooking, I boiled the water to make angel hair pasta. I really like this brand because it is high in fiber and protein. How, I have not a clue, but it tastes the same as regular pasta.

To make the "sauce."
I picked tomatoes and broccoli to put in it. I cut up fresh tomatoes (still cold) and steamed broccoli.
Combine your selected veggies with the following and let sit while pasta is cooking to allow flavor to soak in.
1 Tbsp of butter
1/4 Parmesan Cheese
1-2 Tbsp (depending on preference) Garlic
A pinch of salt and pepper to taste


Once meatballs and pasta are finished, slice up meatballs and combine all ingredients.

Serve it up and enjoy:)
Again, super simple pasta recipe, but if you are anything like me, I NEED ideas!

Enjoy making these easy, yet super yummy recipes!



3 comments: