Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Stirring the Pot for a Point

I do not normally like to "stir the pot." I dont always think it is necessary to be critical of people around me. I live my life and people live theirs. I am always willing to offer advice when asked, but I typically will keep to myself. EXCEPT FOR TODAY!

Here we go folks....I am stirring the pot. I am mixing it up and I am sad, upset, hurt and angry in one big FAT emotion!

Why you might ask...Here we go....(Bring on the rant....and well....some grace)

I was sent THIS ARTICLE (Click and read before continuing) published in Marie Claire magazine from my sister.

Where do I even begin? Initially after reading this article I was sick. Literally pit of my stomach sick....then I was hurt...then I was sad...then I was angry....and now I am just well sick.

Coming from a "fattie" my soul bled for people reading this. WOW really? What a tragic way voice an opinion! SO hurtful and so disrespectful.

Though I would like to spit out a bunch of degrading and horrible things about this author, I realize I would be going down to her level, so I decided to write her a letter...on my blog of course. I am sure she will never read it, but here we go.

Dear Maura Kelly:

I do not even know where to begin with the sadness I have felt while reading your article. I certainly know that we are all entitled to our opinions and as a fellow blogger, I certainly have voiced my own. But you are published for the world to see in an, up until today, respected magazine.

Let me give you some history on myself...10 months ago I weighed 363 pounds and I guess you could consider me a "fattie" and "very very obese." Did it ever occur to you that I already felt judged and uncomforable walking across the room knowing that people like you were judging me, whether is was going back for seconds at the buffet or standing in line to get a skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks? Did it ever occur to you that I wanted to be like you people...thin and admired? Did it occur to you that I would like to go to the gym, but felt as if people judged me because my "rolls and rolls" might offend someone?

What I think you have failed to realize is that people who you would call "fatties" know how they are viewed in the world. We are not oblivious to the fact that we have increased health risks, take up extra room where ever we go, and know that we are judged. But let me ask you something....because we are fat are we not allowed to be loved? Sure, I am not a huge fan of PDA (public displays of affection) but does it really matter whether someone is large or not?

Remember...we "fatties" have taken the same health classes as you have. We know how to exercise and eat healthy. But if we can not even feel free to display affection to a loved one, how do you expect us to go to the gym and want to jiggle around complete strangers? Have you neglected to remember an important word called "metabolism?" How about "genetics?" Are you familiar with these terms? I know many thin girls that eat like crap and their bodies are rotting from the inside out. You do not complain about them do you? No, you complain and are disgusted by the people who probably have been disgusted with themselves at one point.

You have kicked people while they are already down. You have stereotyped a group of people without ever walking in their shoes. You have no idea, therefore you do not know.

Though deep down in my heart I truly want to be mad at you and hate your guts, I actually feel sorry for you. You have missed the mark here my dear friend and potentially destroyed and alienated a group of people who have already felt alienated.

Please, I ask of you...if you are ever given the opportunity to write...which I hope you are not, I hope you think about the effects of your writing on people.

Thanks,

2 comments:

  1. Mings,

    I love you so much. Thanks for posting this. Kinda makes me think about how I judge other people groups the same way this girl judges people who are overweight. So glad God does not judge us as harshly as we judge others. Also, she posted a retraction to her article.

    I must reiterate how over-sized and obese my love is for you. If I tried to fit it on a flight, I'd have to buy the whole plane.

    Venish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, in case you're curious, she posted a follow-up note after receiving feedback similar to yours. It was an incredibly insensitive article to post and I'm sure she is now realizing how much of an impact that one article has made.

    ReplyDelete