Friday, December 24, 2010

1 year Post-Op Appointment

This is going to be a quick post because my TRUE year post op is not until December 28th, but I had my one year post op appointment with the doctor yesterday!

It is crazy because one year ago today I have having my Pre-Op appointment basically signing my life away. I was getting ready for Christmas, very much like I am doing today, and thinking "this is my last REAL Christmas." I was also thinking "well next year I am going to miss out on all the cookies, cakes, and fudge." Now, a year later, none of that really even matters. I took myself to Winco to buy some SF candy in the bulk bins and am ready to enjoy the real meaning of Christmas.

So ok ok back to my appointment. It was WONDERFUL! I am down a total of 155 pounds from the day I was admitted into the hospital for surgery. Though the pounds are wonderful, the really exciting thing is my BMI (body mass index) has decreased significantly. Pre-op my BMI was 53.6% which tips the charts of MORBIDLY OBESE. Looking back now, I am shocked! Some BMI charts do not even have a option for 363 pounds in their calculations. Now, almost one year later, I am at a BMI of 31.01 which is borderline Overweight/Obese. So sure, I still have some ways to go, but I am on the right track.

Because I have lost 69.28% of my excess body weight and have been having problems with extra skin, I am being recommended for plastic surgery to remove the excess skin! I am actually really excited about this. Sparing the details, the excess skin is a medical necessity especially for my arms and my stomach. As time progresses, I may have to get extra skin removed from my legs as well. I am not going to do anything drastically to change my body, but the excess skin makes it really hard to exercise. To paint a mental picture for ya, I dont want my stomach and arms "sloshing" around. I never knew that you could make armpit fart sounds with extra skin! Funny?? Depends what 7 year old boy you ask. ;)

So that is basically the details released from my post op appointment. On my year Surgiversary, I will post all the inches details and new pictures!

Until then, Merry Christmas and thanks for continually supporting me through this journey!


1 comment:

  1. I figured there would be more surgeries in your future Flutter. I'm so happy to see you excited about them rather than dreading them. You have such a marvelously positive attitude and I'm so proud of how far you've come. And I'm not referring to the weight loss, I'm referring to your desire to lead a healthy life and what that means to you. You have taken control of your life and you are an active participant in making it better. Merry Christmas. Can't wait to watch what 2011 brings you. :) Sparkle

    ReplyDelete